Daily Meeting Report -- Thursday

422 attendees checked in!

Address Policy Working Group – Session III

The third AP WG session started on Thursday with discussion on the IPv6 PI/PA unification proposal made by Gert Doering, AP Working Group co-Chair. After an overview of the history and some statistics about IPv6 policy in the RIPE community, there was an analysis of special cases, the costs and the “multiple blocks per LIR” scenario that would result from the unification. The RIPE NCC was tasked to look into reasons why LIRs would like to be able to request multiple prefixes. More feedback was encouraged on the mailing list.

During the Open Policy Hour, Kurtis Lindqvist presented the recent RFC 6382, published by the IETF. He highlighted some possible interpretation issues with the ripe-525 policy, “Autonomous System (AS) Number Assignment Policy”. The attendees present reached the conclusion that a policy proposal should not be submitted.

DNS Working Group Session

The first session of the DNS WG Session had a diverse set of presentations, ranging from an update by the RIPE NCC, an update on the DANE work in IETF, to DNS configuration management and two different implementations of an authoritative DNS server.

The second DNS session started with an interesting presentation by Wolfgang Nagele, RIPE NCC, about the excessive increased query load on the root name servers that occurred for a brief time this summer. It was followed by Olaf Kolkman, NLnet Labs, presenting “DNSSEC Trigger”, an useful application for testing DNSSEC from behind “hostile” networks like NATs and hotel networks etc. Joe Abley, ICANN, presented an update on the “IDN Variant Issues Project”, then Stephane Bortzmeyer, AFNIC, updated the attendees on the status of the DNSEASY and SSR Meetings.

The session ended with a very engaging panel discussion, ranging from the technical to the political implications of blocking or rewriting DNS query results at the registry or ISP level and how that affects operators throughout the world.

EIX Working Group Session

Christian Panigl, VIX, gave the first presentation of the session with his introduction to the local peering scene in Austria. Andy Davidson, EIX WG co-Chair, gave an update on EIX activities, including the new IPv4 policy and switch wishlist. Remco van Mook, Equinix, and Martin Pels, AMS-IX, offered to help with the document. The session continued with a presentation from Harald Michl, UniVie/ACOnet/VIX on “Monitoring Platforms for Internet Exchange Points“. A presentation from Maksym Tulyuk on “Jumbo Frames in AMS-IX” prompted many in the audience to voice their opinions.

Ondrej Filip, NIX.CZ, began the second EIX WG session with his presentation “Extended Communities for Route-Servers and ASN32“. He also announced that NIX.CZ is celebrating its 15th anniversary and invited everyone to a party on 21 November. Up next was Kurtis Lindqvist, Netnod, who presented on “How to Resolve Edge Redundancy for Peering“. Next up was Joao Damas, ISC, who talked about the Open Source Routing project he was working on. Wolfgang Tremmel, DE-CIX, and Maksym Tulyuk, AMS-IX, gave presentations on the problems they experienced with Proxy-ARP. Discussion focused on why this happened and audience consensus revealed this could be fixed by Cisco not making proxy-ARP on by default. A Cisco representative said that he would bring this feedback back to Cisco. Bijal Sanghani, Euro-IX, shared an update with attendees and the session ended with on open mic session of lightning updates.

RIPE Database Working Group Session

The RIPE NCC shared the latest RIPE Database developments. RIPE NCC staff members, Kaveh Ranjabar and Denis Walker, presented on the action points from the RIPE 62 Meeting, all of which have been completed. Regarding the concerns raised during RIPE 62, the RIPE NCC found that 99.15% of the INETNUM objects created by LIRs were authenticated with a password. The WG Chair suggested that a task force could be formed to look at the authentication methods and the issue of having the MD5 hash publicly available. The main discussion of the session was about the geolocation service. The RIPE NCC showed a prototype of the service and the WG Chair will present the proposed way forward on the RIPE Database mailing list. Richard Barnes, BBN Technologies, gave a presentation talking on geolocation options and data privacy. It was not yet decided whether the RIPE NCC will maintain all the data or if each ISP will decide how much data will be publicly available. The RIPE NCC was also requested to investigate how internationalisation could be made possible and what would need to be done if it is decided to fully serve the data in utf-8. Also, as reported in the Anti-Abuse WG earlier this week, a requirement of an abuse contact in the RIPE Database will start the PDP in the coming weeks. This is the result of the Abuse Contact Task Force. An other issue raised was that objects sponsored by an LIR are not shown in the RIPE Database. The mailing list will be used to analyse how to move forward.

Cooperation Working Group Session

The RIPE Cooperation Working Group met in the final session of the day, and included a remote presentation from European Commission representative Andrea Glorioso, who emphasised the need for more synchronisation between the RIPE community and the Commission. Chris Buckridge, RIPE NCC, gave an update on the Internet Governance Forum 2011, while Nurani Nimpuno, Netnod, spoke about the work of the United Nations CSTD Working Group on “Improvements to the IGF”. This led to a longer discussion of the various forums in which Internet governance is discussed and how best to participate and respond to the range of Internet governance issues.

MAT Working Group Session

The session started with Antonio Moreira, NIC Brazil, reporting on how RIPE TTM data is being used in real time in Brazil. Tiziana Refice, Google, presented the “Measurement Lab (M-Lab)” they are setting up at Google. After the talk, several people asked if Google was considering integrating or sponsoring RIPE Atlas. There was applause from the audience about this point. Wolfgang Nagele, RIPE NCC, presented on “PCAP Analysis with HADOOP”. More information about this can be found on RIPE Labs. The session concluded with two presentations by the RIPE NCC. Vesna Manojlovic, Senior Community Builder, updated the audience on the recent developments in the RIPE NCC’s measurements activities and Robert Kisteleki, Research and Development Manager, announced the introduction of user defined measurements for RIPE Atlas. This last presentation prompted a lot of discussion. David Freedman, Claranet, asked the audience how the reachability of a prefix could be measured so that people can build filters properly and proposed an experiment. Interest was expressed and he said he would formulate a more solid proposal.

IPv6 Privacy BoF

An IPv6 Privacy BoF was held in the Park Congress I room following the last working group sessions of the day. The German NGO Arbeitskreis Vorratsdatenspeicherung’s (Working Group on Data Retention) position on how user privacy should be supported by ISPs and software/hardware vendors was discussed as well as how privacy concerns will influence ISPs’ IPv6 assignment practices.